CSS

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pork Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Rice and Creamy Jalapeno Dressing


 We went over to our friends, the Marzetta's, for dinner a few months ago and had the best tacos ever! They emailed me these recipes and since then, I've made these tacos 3 times. Our favorite thing about them is the meat. I had been wanting to find a sweet pork taco meat recipe, and this one is perfect. There is also a rice recipe that goes along with these. You can use it as a side or as a filling with the meat. The dressing is wonderful too.

Creamy Jalapeno Dressing
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup milk
1 small bunch cilantro
2 large jalapenos (seeds almost removed for mild, more if you like it hot)
1/2 yellow onion
2 small cloves garlic, chopped
1 tomatillo, quartered
1/2 tsp salt
1 Ranch Dip powder mix packet

Blend all ingredients together in a blender. Makes 3 cups.
(This recipe originally called for fat-free sour cream, low-fat mayo, and skim milk, but I just use less healthy regular stuff. I also half this recipe because we don't use as much as it makes.)

Sweet Pork Taco Meat
1 3-5 lb. boneless pork roast
2 16oz. jars of your favorite salsa
2 cups brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Place roast in a crock pot. Pour 1 jar of salsa over pork and 1 cup of brown sugar. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low overnight, approximately 8-10 hours. In the morning drain the crock pot of all the juices. Shred pork with fork and remove fatty pieces. Pour 2nd jar of salsa and 1 cup of brown sugar over the shredded meat in crock pot and cook on low 8-10 more hours. Makes a lot of meat.

Cilantro-Lime Rice
1 tsp olive oil or butter
2/3 cup white rice
1 lime, juiced
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped

In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice and lime juice, stir for 1 minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff with fork. Add cilantro right before serving. Serves 4-6

9 comments:

Kristy said...

this is my next one to try, I love this!

Lisa said...

I can't believe I was referenced on a food blog. No one will belive me! You're such an amazing cook and I can't wait to try some of these recipes.

Anonymous said...

These tacos are so yummy! I have made them 3 times also Christine. Thanks Lisa for sharing the "secret" recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

Use two jars of hot salsa (none of that mild or medium baby stuff), and this taco meat is perfection.

aurora said...

I am trying this this week! Yumm...

Lacey said...

Oooooo! I love food blogs. I've seen some really yummy looking things on here that I can't wait to try. I'm so happy to have another place to go to find new ideas. Thanks, Christine and keep those recipes coming!!

Kristy said...

this was so so delicious! I want to eat it every night.

Denise said...

I made this for dinner tonight. Yum!
Love the dressing that goes with it.
Denise

Glory Watts said...

Can't wait to try this one! I love sweet pork with cilantro rice and have been on the hunt for the Perfect recipe.