It's a funny name, but that's exactly what it is. I tried this new recipe out for Easter dessert and we thought it was awesome! I changed the amount of powdered sugar in the topping from 3 TBSPs to 6, cause I like it a little sweeter. Also, I though it would be fun to top it with toasted coconut.
Coconut Cream Yummy Cake
Taste of Home Magazine
6 egg whites
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup 2% milk
2 tsps vanilla
2 1/4 cups cake flour
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
6 TBSPs powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
Flaked coconut; toasted or untoasted
1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the coconut milk, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture.
3. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Place pan on a wire rack.
5. Poke holes in cake with a skewer, about 1/2 in. apart. Combine syrup ingredients; slowly pour over cake, allowing mixture to absorb into cake. Let stand for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. (I refrigerated overnight.)
6. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over cake; sprinkle with coconut.