CSS

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lion House Potato Casserole

Other than the ham of course, and this salad here, this is the other food item that is required at my Easter dinner. There are many names for this, but I prefer just potato casserole. Creamy, cheesy, and crunchy on top, it's a tasty side dish that I love. I sometimes take a short cut and use a bag of shredded Simply Potatoes (if you use them see my note below). I always use corn flakes for my topping.

Lion House Potato Casserole
Lion House
Casserole
5 large potatoes, unpeeled
3 TBSPs butter or margarine, melted
1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
3 TBSPs green onions, finely chopped
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Topping
3/4 cup corn flake crumbs or dry bread crumbs
2 TBSPs butter or margarine, melted
3 TBSPs grated Parmesan cheese

1. Boil whole, unpared potatoes until tender; drain and peel. Shred coarsely and place in a 2 or 3 quart casserole dish.
(I do this a little differently. I boil the whole unpeeled potatoes like the recipe says, and when they are cool to the touch, I cut them in half lengthwise. Then holding onto the side with the peel I grate them, stopping when I get to the peel. This is what my mommy does.)
2. Pour melted butter over potatoes. In a bowl, mix together soup, sour cream, milk, green onions, and cheese. Pour evenly over potatoes. DO NOT MIX.
3. Mix cornflake crumbs or bread crumbs with melted butter an Parmesan cheese. Cover the top with this mixture. Bake 30 minutes at 325 degrees.
Makes 8 to 10 servings

Simply Potatoes Note: Simply Potatoes are raw. If you use these in place of the cooked shredded potatoes the casserole will have a different texture. Also you need to increase the baking time and temperature to 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

(In this photo I used Simply Potatoes and omitted the green onion.)

No comments: