CSS

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Swiss Steak

My sister reminded me that I needed to add this to my blog. I hadn't had it for a really long time, and had forgotten how much I like it. My family loves it too. Swiss steak has nothing to do with Switzerland. Swiss refers to the process of tenderizing tough cuts of meat or "swissing" and then braising (typically with tomatoes). This recipe has two cooking options, stove top or slow cooker. 

Swiss Steak
4–6 Tenderized cube steak pieces
1 cup water
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Stove Top Directions:
Dip cube steak in flour and brown in large skillet on medium heat. Add water and soups. Cover and simmer 1 ½ hours.

Slow Cooker Directions:
Place cube steak in slow cooker with water. In small bowl, combine soup mix and mushroom soup. Spoon over cube steak. Cook on low 8 hours.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks. I just found this recipe yesterday while Googling for a Swiss Steak Recipe. I used a can of French Onion Soup instead of the dry. It was good! My hubby had thirds. . . I really appreciate the posting :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't like mushrooms. Can you use something different?

Unknown said...

Yes... I use cream of onion soup

Lynn said...

My mom used to make this. I’m 66 now but this was always a favourite. Thanks