CSS

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Orange Cream Cupcakes

I made these cupcakes for my daughter's birthday. I thought they sounded good and wanted to try this recipe. We loved them! It's a really easy recipe because you use a cake mix, with a few add ins. These can also be made as plain vanilla cupcakes if you substitute vanilla for the orange extract. I'm wondering how lemon extract would taste too. I'll definitely be using this recipe again next time I need some white cupcakes.

Orange Cream Cupcakes
pantryeats.blogspot.com
1 box of white cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 cup sour cream
1 cup evaporated milk
2 tsps orange extract
Orange buttercream frosting
Jellied orange slice candies

1. Preheat oven to 350˚. Line two, 12-cavity cupcake pans with liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and beat on high with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Spoon into prepared cupcake pans.
3. Bake for 15-18 min or until tops spring back lightly. Cool completely before frosting.

On the blog that I found this cupcake recipe on, she used a can of frosting and added 1/2 tsp of orange extract. I like to make my own frosting, so here's the frosting recipe I used.

Orange Buttercream Frosting
adapted from foodnetwork.com
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp orange extract
1 TBSP cream

In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together butter and sugar. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

Add orange extract and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more.

I bought this stand at World Market on sale for $10! Isn't it cute?!

5 comments:

xohappyhealthyfoodie said...

Sounds yummy! That is a very cute cupcake stand!

Kristy said...

yummy. I'll try it with lemon and let you know how it goes.

Kristy said...

I made them with lemon and they were great. I put yellow food coloring in the frosting and real lemon juice, tasty.

Jordan said...

Cute cupcake stand! I hope they're not gone yet.

Martins said...

Those were so good! I'm going to make some today. I had to buy a cupcake stand after I saw how cute yours was. I thougt I bought the same one but now that I look at your pictures,I see mine is a little different.