CSS

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Chicken Fried Chicken

I love this recipe! I use this when I make chicken fried steak and chicken fried chicken. I pound my chicken pretty flat. I like to use pie plates for my cracker mixture and egg mixture. I line them up right next to the pan so I can put the chicken right in after dipping. If you want to check and see if the chicken is done cooking in the middle, just take your thickest piece and cut it in half. If it's still pink, stick it back in and cook it a little longer. Sometimes I make gravy to go along with it, and sometimes I take the easy route and use a Pioneer country gravy packet.

Chicken Fried Chicken
adapted from southern living
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
38 saltine crackers (1 sleeve), crushed
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
2 cups oil

1. Place chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag and pound with a meat tenderizer until even in thickness. Cut chicken into desired portion sized pieces. (I usually have about 8 pieces.)
2. In a shallow dish, combine cracker crumbs, flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and baking powder.
3. In a separate shallow dish, whisk together milk and eggs.
4. Dredge chicken in cracker mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge again in cracker mixture.
5. Pour oil into a 12-inch skillet; heat to 360° (or med-high). Fry chicken for 10 minutes. Turn and fry 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove chicken to a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan. Keep chicken warm in a 225° oven, if needed. Repeat with second batch.

Serve gravy with chicken. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Makes 6-8 servings

To make gravy:
Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Whisk together remaining  3 cups milk, 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Add milk mixture to reserved drippings in skillet; cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened.





No comments: