This is my second favorite casserole and like my very favorite, it also comes from my mother in law. I've made a couple of minor changes, one being the addition of onion powder. I like that it's very basic, but you could add chopped onion, or substitute a cream of something soup for the white sauce, for more flavor.
Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
1 bunch broccoli (about 2 cups)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup rice
2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
2 1/2 cups milk
3 TBSPs butter
3 TBSPs flour
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c shredded cheese
1. Wash, trim, and steam broccoli; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring broth and rice to a boil; simmer 20 minutes.
3. In a large bowl combine steamed broccoli, cooked rice, and chicken; mix well.
4. In another medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Slowly add milk to butter mixture. Stir with whisk until bubbly and thick. Pour over rice mixture in large bowl and stir to combine.
5. Spread in 2-3 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 6-8