CSS

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

BLT Canapés

Here's another baby shower recipe. I had to look up the definition of canapé because I wasn't exactly sure what it meant. It's an appetizer consisting of a piece of bread or toast or a cracker topped with a savory spread. I copied this recipe from a cookbook I checked out from the library a long time ago, and decided to make it so I could use some cherry tomatoes from my garden. I loved these! I doubled the recipe and had a little bacon mayo left over so my husband and kids finished it off. You could also try it with baguette slices.

BLT Canapés
1 cup mayo
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 loosely packed cup chopped fresh parsley
Dash of cayenne pepper
8-12 slices sandwich bread
24 cherry tomatoes, halved OR 24 thin slices of plum tomato
Shredded lettuce

1. Combine the mayo, bacon, and parsley in a small bowl. Season with cayenne pepper. The bacon mayo can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 24 hours.
2. Preheat the oven broiler. Using a small biscuit or round cookie cutter (mine is 2 inches in diameter), cut 24 rounds from the slices of bread. Place the rounds on a baking sheet and broil until lightly browned on one side, 1-2 minutes.
3. When ready to serve, arrange bread rounds on platter, browned side down. Spread 1-2 tsps of bacon mayo on each round, then top with tomato and lettuce. Serve at once. Makes 24.

I used white and wheat bread.

A pile of bacon mayo.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

oh my word, these were so yummy! love them.