CSS

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

I had to hurry and post this recipe before it starts getting too hot to make soup! I love chicken pot pie! Every time I make it I'm always tempted to lick the pot clean. This recipe has the things I like about pot pie, cream, chicken, and crust plus a bonus of cheese! I like the addition of broccoli, which in not a veggie I use in pot pie, because it made this like a cross between broccoli cheese soup and chicken pot pie. The original recipe says to use 1 refrigerated crust, but I just made my own using the Crisco recipe. I also added a little more broth and milk because I felt like it needed more liquid. I love the blog where I found this recipe. Everything looks so yummy!

Chicken Pot Pie Soup
adapted from shugarysweets.com
2 cup chicken, cooked and diced
3 TBSP butter
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 cup fresh broccoli florets, chopped
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 pie crust

1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions, celery and broccoli and cook to soften about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add broth, milk, cream, red pepper, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to combine, then add in cooked chicken. Heat over medium heat until warm, about 10-15 minutes.
2. To make crust, cut into strips and lay on a lined baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, until browned. Remove from oven.
3. To assemble, Pour soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese and pie crust strips.

Crust Strips

No comments: