1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 TBSPs cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large eggs, room temperature
2 egg whites, room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 tsps pure vanilla extract
1 TBSP red food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the buttermilk, vanilla, and food coloring; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
5. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups (I use a muffin scoop that holds about 1/4 a cup).Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from mycupcakeaddiction on youtube
1/2 cup softened butter
4 oz softened cream cheese
5 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tsps milk (if necessary)
1. Place butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl and mix on high for 5 minutes, scraping down sides as needed.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar. Once it is just mixed, turn the mixer to high and mix for 5 minutes. If it is a little too stiff, add 1-2 tsps of milk and mix in.